I love it. Every time I cook it, my roommate hates me. I don’t understand how someone who eats meat cannot like anything bacon wrapped, effused, cooked with, etc but she gives me the stank eye every time the smell wafts into her bedroom. She did however give me a cute bacon flatten-er for Christmas last year, which I took as a peace offering.
Soooo… I branched out a bit and experimented with other recipes other than frying it for breakfast.
One of my favorites is Green Beans OR Asparagus with Bacon, Almonds and Lemon Juice. Not a bacon lover like my roommate? Don’t eat legumes? You can customize this recipe to accommodate your vegetarian, vegan, paleo dietary needs. I love using this as a side dish or eating it as a small meal. It’s also packed with protein (bacon, nuts, beans-all great protein sources).
- Green Beans or asparagus (asparagus if you are paleo)
- two slices of regular bacon or turkey bacon (omit if vegetarian)
- 1-2 handfuls of chopped almonds or almond slivers (you can use a knife and chop your own)
- ½ lemon for the juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (don’t need if cooking with regular bacon-the bacon grease will be enough)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and cut greens into two inch sections (I cut off the ends of green beans too).
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- With pan on medium to low heat, cook the bacon first about halfway through.
- Add greens and squeeze lemon juice on top, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-5 minutes then add nuts.
- Stirring occasionally, cook until nuts start to roast and turn brown.
- Be careful not to overcook, I personally like my greens to still have a little bit of crunch still.