Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
I woke up in a green shirt, had a green smoothie to kick start my lucky day and am now typing away at my desk with green paint accents in front of a green wall. This holiday is totally my day because I’m obsessed with just about everything green. If you opened my closet three years ago, you’d find 90% green cloths. I have branched out into other lanes of the rainbow since then, but green is still my favorite color.
Each day I make sure I choose to eat some sort of green food, not just because it’s my favorite color but because green vegetables, especially dark leafy greens, give people the most energy, supports the immune system, and refresh the body.
All this is possible because of the micronutrients and phytochemicals greens have that help build and repair cells. They are high in:
- calcium (for bone health)
- magnesium (regulates blood pressure, regulates blood glucose levels, improves bone mineral density)
- iron (transports oxygen in blood)
- zinc (anti-inflammatory, sooth and repairs skin, vital for fertility)
- vitamin A (for skin & eye health)
- vitamin E (important for energy & immune system)
- vitamin K (helps in blood clotting, important for bone & heart health)
- chlorophyll (detoxifies, high oxygen content, natural deodorizer)
Chlorophyll is what makes veggies and plants GREEN! This nutrient alone:
- aids in loosening and cleansing the colon (the poop of your life)
- acts as deodorizer that eliminates bad odor (no more bad breath or anything that comes out the other end either)
- fights infections with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- removes heavy metal toxins
- is full of oxygen for cell function and repair
Do you need any other reasons to make sure you get your green veggies in every day? Here is a Refreshing Green Smoothie for you to celebrate St. Patty’s Day with and celebrate a healthy you! P.S. it reminds me of McDonald’s Shamrock Shake that I use to love (and hate with the havoc it wreaked on my digestive system every St Patty’s Day).
- 1 c almond milk
- 1 fistful of spinach
- 1/2 c plain unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 inches of peeled cucumber
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1/4 t spirulina (green superfood)
- 4-6 drops of peppermint oil
- add 1-2 dates or teaspoon of honey if you like your smoothies sweeter
- *tip be sure to put the liquid in the bottom (first), it will help with mixing*
How are you going to get your green on today?