PRESENTING: Your healthy summer frozen treat…dut-duhnnun-ah! CHOCOLATE BRR-NANAS (chocolate covered frozen bananas).
This is a great healthy alternative to traditional popsicles or ice-cream for summer fun. The Brrrnanas are dairy free, soy free, gluten free, low in processed sugars and very cool (pun intended). Even just the frozen bananas are a nice cold snack (or any frozen fruit for that matter).
People who are not huge fans of bananas or banana flavored things have tried and liked this recipe!
- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet or Dark melting chocolate
- a stick of some sort -I recommend toothpicks (for bitesicles), popsicle sticks, small skewers or even straws cut in half.
*the amount of each depends on how much you would like to make. I usually do at least three bananas at a time and need about 1.5 cups of chocolate
- FOR BITESICLES: cut banana (peeled) into 1 inch bites; put one toothpick in each and freeze on a plate; careful not to let the pieces touch
- FOR POPSICLES: cut each banana (peeled) in half and put on stick (don’t insert too far); then freeze on a plate or in a bag; careful again not to let pieces touch.
- After bananas are frozen (freezing will take several hours), melt chocolate. I think the easiest way is to put them in a bowl and microwave in 40 second intervals on 50% power, stirring between each interval.
- Take frozen bananas out of freezer only right before dipping in chocolate, dip and cover. You may need to use a spoon to help.
- Put on parchment or wax paper for easy cooling and removal once the chocolate has hardened.
- You can also roll the banana in shaved coconut or nuts. Make sure to use raw nuts and coconut shavings without added sugar to have a healthier snack.
- Keep your chocolate brrrnanas chilled after dipping, before devouring :)